Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Global warming. Ha!

The school district I used to work for just announced that they are closed for the rest of the week, due to the arctic freeze we are supposed to get later this evening. I am slightly amused by this. I don't know that I ever remember them cancelling school for cold before. But it is supposed to be COLD. Like negative digits cold. Like I feel like I'm in Canada cold. (Seriously, I don't know how people actually live there. It's in the negative 30s on a regular basis. Yikes!)

Snow days used to be one of the highlights of my life. As a teacher, there just aren't that many perks to the low pay, high stress, and don't even get me started on the theoretical summers off and short work days (it would be a fantastic gig if you actually got to leave at 3:00 every day and didn't have professional development expected of you in the summer). BUT there's always the hope of the random, unexpected day or days off in the winter. Which, many times, I think is better than a planned day off. When you don't know it's coming, you don't have a list of things that you have to get done on your day off, making it a spectacular excuse to stay in bed until at least 10 or 11. Plus usually the weather is bad, so you shouldn't be leaving the house anyway.

So to my teacher friends: enjoy your snow days. You earned them. The kids are usually a mess after Christmas break anyway (procedures? what procedures? you want us to get in a what? a line?), so enjoy this brief reprieve :)

And to Al Gore: come visit Oklahoma. Apparently our weather didn't get your memo that the Earth is slowly warming up and the polar ice caps are melting away to nothing.

2 comments:

  1. HA! Love this! I will enjoy my snow day(s?) and stay in my jammies for as long as possible!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what a perfect day to enter over 500 addresses into my Guest List excel sheet!! I've been waiting for a nice chunk of uninterrupted time to do that! Some people would think I'm being sarcastic. Good thing you know me.

    ReplyDelete