With my first two children, I sort of prided myself on not running to get them the instant they started crying. There are people on both sides of the fence, but I fell on the side of "nobody ever died from crying" and "sometimes you just need to let them cry it out" and "holding babies all the time and picking them up every time they cry will make them too dependent on you."
As with many things in my life that I have a very strong opinion about, I think God has slowly been changing me. Maybe it's because I'm older (and theoretically wiser). Maybe it's because I've done a lot of reading/research on it now. Maybe it's because we're planning on this being our last baby. Maybe it's because doing it the other way didn't prevent Ava from going through a months-long period of time where she would go to NO ONE but me. Maybe it's because this baby doesn't cry as much as the other two did. (But maybe THAT'S because I'm treating her differently...chicken or the egg??)
But.
I hold Emma. A lot. She takes a lot of her naps during the day in my arms. If she cries when she's in her bed, it's pretty much only for as long as it takes me (or Ryan in the middle of the night) to get there, or I just give her a minute to see if she'll calm herself down. I don't want to make her "cry it out." I want her to know that I am there for her, I will take care of her, and she doesn't need to be scared. There will be some adjustments once I'm solely in charge of all three kids, but right now, she's my priority. I'm not allowed to pick up Ava yet, and I have to be really careful with Cade so he doesn't pull on me or push on me near my incision, so I pretty much take care of Emma and have to let others take care of the older two (thank you, God, for amazing family who help out!!).
Simply because Emma is the third, and they're all three so close together in age, I know I'm going to be wearing her more, both from necessity and for her benefit. I have 2 carriers that I'm excited to use with her. I used both of them with Ava, but not until she was older, but she loved them. I hope Emma does, too.
Hello out there!
9 years ago
This reminds me of a time when Coley was teeny tiny & was fussing at a family member's house. Said family member asked, "do you hold her a lot?" in a way such as "if you didn't pick her up & hold her so much, she wouldn't be a fussy baby" I almost came unglued & rather unkindly said, "yes, I hold her a lot, she's a baby!" We mamas know what's best for our kiddos, and you just keep on cherishing that sweet Emma! No one ever died from being held either! ;)
ReplyDelete